January 31, 2015

Bone Broth

Since reading an article in the NY Times about the benefits of bone broth, I find myself doing two things - cooking a lot more, and shopping at Save A Lot. 

As for the first one, cooking is something I've enjoyed for a long time, although I tend to lean heavily towards soups, stews, and anything that can be made in the crock pot. Oh I'll do a little baking now and then but noting fancy. One-pot meals are my specialty.

This is, of course, why I was pleased to read that drinking broth is good for you (except for the sodium, which I'm working on. Broth is packed with all kinds of nutrients and, frankly, it's delicious as hell. And so now I find myself cooking more of it.

This leads to my second new habit - shopping at Save A Lot.

If you're not familiar with Save A Lot, I guess you could call them a deep discount grocer. Considerably smaller than Shaw's or Stop and Shop, as far as physical store size goes, they have fresh produce, a full meat department, dairy, frozen foods and assorted other stuff, most of it private label.

Anyway, I'll cut right to it. Now that I'm a bone broth aficionado, I know that often the cheapest cuts (and bones) make the best broth. I'm talking about chicken feet and cow's tails, here. 

And since Save A Lot carries all the cheapest cuts, that's where I've been shopping. Now before you get all snobby on me, consider this: one giant pot of soup with ingredients purchased at Save A Lot costs me approximately eight dollars.And that includes everything from the bones to the veggies and the spices. 

That one eight dollar pot of delicious soup lasts me more than a week and forms the basis of several meals. It also freezes well.

So there you have it. Amazing the things you write about on a snowy New England morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment