December 02, 2014

Stephen King's Third Chance is a Charm

Around the time I turned twenty years old, I gave up on Stephen King.

To my mind, his best work was behind him and, for the most part, this turned out to be true.

But then I read his book On Writing and was impressed all over again. This lead to King's second renaissance for me.

My mistake after that was attempting to read The Dome, which is when I gave up on Mr. King yet again. It was just too damn long.

And now, after reading Revival, King's latest and much more reasonable-sized novel, I'm giving him a third chance.

King's latest is a fun read and a book he likely couldn't have written in his younger days anyway.

Is this book the King of old, the guy who wrote The Stand, Salem's Lot, and The Shining? No. But who is the same person decade after decade?

Next up is 11/22/63 for me. I'll let you know how it goes.

If you're interested in some recent books I've read or ones I want to read, check out my Goodreads page.

No comments:

Post a Comment