April 07, 2013

Twitter Me This

I just can't get into Twitter. Something about the tiny URLs and deciphering all that abbreviation turns me off.

If I liked that sort of thing, I'd be a programmer. Or a hieroglyphics enthusiast.

Take this tweet (even the terms are ridiculous, no?) from an education critic I admire.

Honest sign at a middle schl: pic.twitter.com/q4e5NJfMzS (via @jjhoster). But did real education (or test prep) precede the testing?



Who could tell what he's talking about with all the @s, slashes, and parentheses?

To be fair, when you click the tweet (nope, still can't get used to it), the message is clearer.
The link brings you to a school sign that reads, "No classes this week due to state assessments. We resume your child's real education in two weeks."

Why not just re-post the sign or like it on Facebook since, chances are, that's where it originated from anyway?

Here's another one. I have no idea from where it came, nor do I know why it scrolled across my Twitter feed.

#Portuguesefacts #portuguesepride #PortugueseKids #Portuguesepower #LusoStyle pic.twitter.com/wLSV2VP5eh

Obviously it has something to do with being Portuguese and proud. But what does it actually mean?

And why all the hashtags (formerly known as the pound sign)? It's easier figuring out the daily word jumble than deciphering tweets like this.

In fairness to Twitter users and  the Portuguese , I decided to give Twitter one more chance. I clicked on one of the hashtag things and was brought to a post by someone calling herself "Jabba the Slut".

From what I could tell, it looked like Jabba was having some kind of relationship issue, perhaps with a Portuguese kid since there were about five more #s with the word Portuguese in there somewhere.

From there, I scrolled down and found another interesting tweet from Jabba, this one having to do with the properties of Portuguese urine, including how the Romans imported it as a key ingredient in ancient mouthwash. (I am not making this up).

This is when I gave up.

ps:  Don't forget to follow me on Twitter @DW_Wheeler #hypocrite #sellout  #andeggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment